Friday, March 16, 2012

My love affair with wheat

I'm finding my way out of diabetes through removing all wheat products from my low-carb diet.  But you should know:  No one -- and I mean no one -- loved wheat products more than I did.  I have the blood sugar numbers to prove it!

Toast or a bagel for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, pasta for dinner with garlic toast, and on and on.  I love to bake.  My banana bread is infamous.  I bake breads, quick breads, cup cakes, pies, cakes, brownies, biscuits, and cookies galore.  

Three weeks ago it became apparent that my affair had to end.  I was down to one flour tortilla a day for lunch.  100 calories and 17 carbs.  That's really good for tortillas.  But it had to go.  I could tell from studying my numbers that I couldn't support even that small amount of wheat any longer.  

Here is what I found:  Wheat craves more wheat.  Wheat craves other foods as well.  Two hours after eating a lunch of one single tortilla wrap with lots of stuffings, I was ravenous.  Painfully hungry.  My wheat addiction (oh, yes, it was!) was causing me actual pain to cause me to eat more.  More wheat.  More food.  More carbs.  I physically needed another "fix," another blood sugar spike in order to carry on throughout the day.

I have been wheat-free for three weeks.  I had no idea that life could be like this.  I'm simply not hungry.  I don't have food cravings at all.  I don't have hunger pains.  I still love food and enjoy everything I'm eating.  But it is for sustenance, not to quell hunger pains.  I'm perfectly happy with less than 1000 calories and 30 carbs a day.  I never want to go back to being hungry all the time again.  That's why I know I'm wheat-free for life.

I have begun baking again.  I've been using the recipes from "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.  I'm using almond and coconut flours.  I've made quick bread, muffins, cheese cake, cookies, and breaded chicken with various outcomes.  Some great, some not so great.  I've been adapting recipes of my own.

I really wish I had known how remarkable this one change in my life would be.  I would have done it a long time ago.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for you to start sharing your recipes with us. lol ;)

    ReplyDelete