Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'm a diabetic?

I'm a 52-year-old single mother of three adult sons.  I work as an editor, spending most of my day attached to a computer keyboard in my home office.  Lately, I've been experiencing some rather strange symptoms.  My eyesight was changing (surely that's normal for my age, right?)  I was having issues with my legs, such as cramping and a restless feeling, among other things.  I didn't know whether to attribute everything to just age.  

I come from a long line of Type II diabetics.  My mother and all of her siblings are diabetic.  I had a sinking feeling that my symptoms might be the beginning of a pre-diabetic condition.  Was I ever wrong.  I had my mother test my fasting blood sugar with her supplies.  Nothing could have prepared me for the result:  450.  If you're not familiar with blood sugar numbers, normal is below 100.  Pre-diabetes is up to 125.  Seriously.

I went to my doctor and she sent me for labs.  My A1C numbers (an overall long-range predictor of diabetes) came back as a 14.  One is categorized as a pre-diabetic at 6.  My doctor had never seen a 14 in her entire career.  My lipids and cholesterol numbers were crazy out of whack.


I figured I'm screwed.  Since I am self-employed and have a history of cancer 30 years ago, health insurance is not a possibility.  The simple fact is:  I can't afford to have diabetes.   I have to fix it myself.


My doctor sent me home that day five weeks ago with instructions to make an appointment with an endocrinologist for investigation into new injections used for metabolic syndrome, to reduce caloric intake to 1200 calories per day with a low-carb diet, to test my blood sugar four times a day and my blood pressure twice a day.  She also recommended seeing a diabetes counselor (a suggestion I outright rejected).

Checking my blood sugar four times a day proved to be very educational.   I spent the last five weeks pricking my fingers for blood four times a day.  I recorded all of my numbers on a spreadsheet and kept track of all calories and carbs.  As the chart was filling with numbers, a clear pattern became apparent to me.  I began eliminating those foods that caused my numbers to spike.  First thing to go was bread.  I replaced bread with a low-calorie, low-carb wrap.  Pasta was eliminated also.  What became clear was that all wheat products seemed to be a problem. 


Two weeks after I began this process of trying to lower my blood sugar numbers through diet alone, I picked up the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis.  It confirmed everything that I had been figuring out.  The problem is wheat.  So now I realized that I have to eliminate all wheat products, which meant my tortilla wrap had to go.  


So for the last three weeks, I have been totally wheat-free.  This is not easy.  It's everywhere on everything.  It is a bit trickier than having Celiac disease.  Those with Celiac aren't necessarily also avoiding most carbs.  There are plenty of gluten-free foods available these days.  They're mostly made from potato or brown rice starch which are high in carbs.  Carbs are what produce glucose.  Glucose is the problem.  So no wheat and no gluten-free substitutes.


Three weeks later (today) I went back to my doctor for a follow-up.  My doctor was absolutely shocked by my numbers.  I had lost 15 pounds in five weeks.  My blood sugar went from 450 to 127.  127 is still considered diabetic, but lowering one's blood sugar 323 mg in five weeks by diet alone is seemingly impossible.  It has been written that it is possible to reverse diabetes in around 12 weeks.  But I started with numbers the like of which my doctor has never seen.



But I did it.  It's possible.  And it wasn't even very hard to do.  So my oldest son set up this blog so that I can show people that it can be done and let you all come along for the ride for the next seven weeks until my diabetes has been completely reversed through diet alone.


Diabetes II is optional.  You have to choose to have it.  I chose not to have it.





11 comments:

  1. Fascinating Kathleen - I too come from a long line of Diabetes II, my children have 3 out of 4 of their grandparents with it. Diet is something we've been working on - looking forward to seeing your results.

    (saw your blog url on FB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ms. Wookie. This is why my son wanted me to blog. I'm almost there and he wanted me to tell people how I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make alot of sense. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jen. You keep up the good work, too! (My partner in wheat aversion!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have been diagnosed as a Type II diabetic. My journey has been more than frustrating. My numbers weren't like yours, though. I've been struggling, trying to get this in control. I have just recently been hearing about cutting the wheat. I just purchased the Wheat Belly book, but haven't started to read it. I will now. I'm really looking forward to reading your blog and following your success! Thanks for posting this site to the scopist board. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Teresa! The book is good. It's a quick read. The recipes in the back are good, too. Well, some of them. I'll be posting more about specific how-tos in the kitchen when I finish the job I'm working on. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi, Kathleen. About 12 years ago I found out I was diabetic. I probably had it long before then and didn't even know it. I started of taking oral medications. I was told if I lost weight and got the sugar under control, I could probably get off the medications. I didn't do that. I could spend paragraphs on reasons I was in denial, but then I would really be wasting everybody's time.

    I noticed it because my eyesight started changing and I had a sudden onslaught to urinate. Eventually that went away. I was not eating anything with sugar in it, but I was eating carbs. Things like rice or pasta was sending my sugars into the 300s.
    Several times I was in the 400s. What was worse than the highs was the lows. I have tested as low as 50. That is when you really start feeling sick. I started seeing an endocrinologist. I went to a dietitian. I see a cardiologist and ophthalmologist.
    I also check in with the dentist more often than most people.
    I take one oral medication three times a day and two different insulins. I take a total of six shots a day. I asked the doc if I
    will ever be off of all this stuff. She said never. My pancreas no longer produces insulin. Diet, medication, and exercise the rest of my life. The problem with this disease is it is silent. You have no idea what it is really doing to you. One of my big problems is for some reason I know how to cook. I am actually very good at it, and that has been a problem.

    Kathleen, you have been very wise. Don't let your guard down.

    Greg Adelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a journey, Greg. I know it has progressed very far for you, but perhaps going wheat-free would be beneficial any way?

      I hear you about the cooking. I'm a good cook, too. I raised a chef who graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and is a professional chef. You can look at it this way: You're ahead of the game because it will be easier for you to figure out how to replace wheat in recipes because you have a working knowledge of food.

      Delete
  7. WOW Kathleen that is awesome! I wish mine were doing as well as yours. I've been a type 2 diabetic for several years now and I started WB about two months ago. I have other problems so they might be what's causing mine not to do so well. I sure hope I can get mine reversed! I am not eating any wheat at all either. I have lowered my carbs and am trying to do around 30 a day as well. In fact some days I think it's even less than that. I have 65 pounds to lose and it's all in my stomach area. I have lost 22 pounds in the past 2 months since we've been on Wheat Belly. My Dr. wanted me to read the book. SO happy she did because hubby is also doing this with me and he has lost 30. We've also lost inches in our waist as well. Congrats to you, you are getting er done! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rose. It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job, too! It's been 10 weeks since I started trying to reduce my blood sugar but only 8 weeks since I went wheatless. I'm hoping for my numbers to normalize over the next month. I've been keeping the carbs mostly in the teens lately. That seems to help.

      Keep up the good work, Rose, and your husband, too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kathleen! Greg I sure hope you come back and read this. I really really think if you would read this book called Wheat Belly, by Dr. Davis it would help you. I know it has me so far. My joints were always killing me and just in 3 days being wheat free (we went cold turkey) I could already tell a difference in my joints! It's working for lots of people! Check out Wheat Belly on Facebook and you can see all the testimonies on there. Several folks have reversed their diabetes or it's getting much better. I'm SO GLAD my Dr. suggested I read this book! We're not starving ourselves either and the thing is all the cravings we had are gone and come to find out it was the wheat making the cravings we had. It has something in it that makes you crave the stuff. You'll see in the book, he explains it all. Amazon sells the book as well as Books A million. Hubby and I just went to B.A.M. and looked at the book to begin with before we bought us one online.

      Delete